Saturday, July 27, 2013

Grandmas's Farm Fresh Biscuits

My Grandmother started off as a city girl in Saskatchewan, coming east to work where she met my Grandfather. They married, bought a farm and had eight children. My Grandfather worked out so my Grandmother took care of the farm and the house, all the while toting around babies. They had dairy cows, therefore, my Grandmother milked the cows by hand and separated the cream. She sold some of the cream and the rest was used in cooking and baking. She also churned butter. This farm provided food: meat, fresh vegetables and dairy. Grandma baked the bread and biscuits.  I still have a hard time grasping how she managed while having eight children.  In honor of this beautiful lady I would like to share a favorite recipe with you that she used and I have used. She always told me that people raved about her biscuits so I used her recipe and I have had compliments galore. Enjoy!

Grandma's Farm Fresh Biscuits

2 cups of all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Sift
Add in 
1/4 cup chopped butter (real butter)
Combine until butter and flour look like oatmeal. 
Add
1 cup cream (1/2 and 1/2 is ok)
Combine until dough forms al ball. Pat out or roll on a floured surface to an inch thick. You may add a little flour to top of dough if sticky but don't make it dry. Using a floured glass rim cut biscuits out and place onto a non oiled pan. Bake at 350 for aproximately 25 minutes or golden brown.  These biscuits are so delicious and rich you don't need to butter them. 

No comments: