Wouldn't you just love to eat healthy? If you need to lose weight, it would just naturally come off or keep your weight stable? If you research "healthy eating" or "weight loss" you will come up with so much information that it is mind boggling!
There's the no/low carb diets, the low fat diets, the food combining diets, the liquid diets and the list goes on. I'm sure you have tried them, I know I have. So why do you think they fail? Well, regardless of which diet(s) you have tried, if they are not nutritionally sound, you will fail! You can't live your entire life never consuming a carb. Likewise, the shakes that replace real food won't work long term. You may use them for some initial weight loss but eventually you have to learn how to eat healthy and in moderation. End of story.
Your body needs certain nutrients and when you deprive yourself over and over again, something will give. You!! Anyone ever binged? Well, that's what happens when you try to restrict your eating too drastically. You can't control it any longer and you eat everything in sight! Furthermore, it has been proven that in order to lose weight and maintain that weight, you need to be able to follow your eating plan for five years. Can you see yourself still following your diet in five years? Do you want to be following that diet in five years?
So, what do you do? Why don't you try the following suggestions:
1. Eat clean - this is the one single best tip anyone who wants to get healthy can follow. Now that doesn't mean you can't have a treat. Of course you can. Remember don't deprive yourself but don't eat treats everyday. If it's not a real food or consist of real ingredients, don't eat it.
2. Fuel your body all through the day - don't let yourself get so hungry you reach for unhealthy choices. Think ahead, pack a few healthy snacks. Snacks are good, just keep in mind what you eat will reflect how you feel later in the day.
3. Hydrate yourself - a lot of times we feel hungry and we are actually thirsty. Keep yourself hydrated through out the day. This will help curb cravings, combats fatigue and keeps everything moving along.
4. Stay active - pick something you like to do and is fun. You don't have to force yourself to walk that five miles a day if you know in three months you won't be doing it. Better results come to those who are consistent. If you like biking, hop on and enjoy a ride. Maybe you enjoy a work out DVD. Whatever you do, make it a part of your life, not something you're doing until you lose that weight.
5. Stop obsessing - you don't have to obsess over all these diet and exercise plans. Start by replacing all the junk with healthy choices. Add some fun stuff like biking or swimming and be happy!
Use the MyPlate as a starting point. It will give you an idea of how to throw those meals together. Fill your plate with real food that gives real result!
Do you have any ideas to make healthy eating easier for the busy mom? Share your ideas with us!